Mr CHAN, Ivan
Associate Professor (String Chamber Music)
Ivan Chan was born in Hong Kong, where he received his early training with Thomas Wang. He made his debut with the Hong Kong Philharmonic at the age of 13. Shortly thereafter, he continued his studies in the United States with Jascha Brodsky, David Cerone, Felix Galimir and Jaime Laredo at the Curtis Institute of Music, and with Miriam Fried at Indiana University.
Winner of the Julius Stulberg Auditions in 1985, Radio Television Hong Kong Young String Player of the Year award in 1985, Ima Hogg Young Artists Auditions in 1990, Bronze Medalist of the Indianapolis International Violin Competition in 1990 and Second Prize as well as Audience Prize winner at the Washington International Competition in 1991, Mr. Chan has appeared as soloist with orchestras including the Detroit Symphony, Indianapolis Symphony, New World Symphony, Houston Symphony and the Hong Kong Sinfonietta. As a chamber musician, he toured regularly with “ Musicians from Marlboro” and has collaborated with artists such as Jaime Laredo, Gil Shaham, Pamela Frank, Garrick Ohlsson, Jeremy Denk, Cho-Liang Lin, Robert Chen, Hsin Yun Huang and with members from ensembles including the Guarneri String Quartet, Orion String Quartet, Cleveland String Quartet, Emerson String Quartet, Johannes String Quartet, Kalichstien-Laredo-Robinson Trio, Beaux Art Trio, Opus 1, TASHI and Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society.
Currently, Mr. Chan is Associate Professor of Music at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, where he teaches chamber music, violin and viola. His students have won positions in major orchestras and top prizes in competitions such as the Hong Kong Philharmonic, Hangzhou Philharmonic Orchestra, Xuzhou Symphony, Buffalo Philharmonic, St. Louis Symphony, Alice and Eleanore Schoenfeld International Competition, Shanghai Conservatory Chamber Music Competition and the Salzburg-Mozart International Chamber Music Competition. As a visiting artist, he has taught at the Curtis Institute of Music, Juilliard School, New England Conservatory, Cleveland Institute of Music, University of Missouri in Kansas, Western Michigan University, Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing, Encore School for Strings, Meadowmount School of Music, Heartland Chamber Music Festival and Morningside Music Bridge. Mr. Chan coaches regularly at prominent festivals such as the Heifetz International Music Institute, Music@Menlo Chamber Music Institute, Kent Blossom Music Festival and New York String Orchestra Seminar. As an adjudicator, he has served on the jury panel of competitions including the Julius Stulberg Auditions and Annual Concerto Competition of the New World Symphony. He was as a member the International Violin Competition of Indianapolis screening committee in 2010, 2014 and 2018.
From 1995 to 2010, Mr. Chan was a member of the acclaimed Miami String Quartet. Winner of the prestigious Cleveland Quartet Award, the MSQ appeared regularly on premier series and festivals throughout the United States such as Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society, Philadelphia Chamber Music Society, Cleveland Chamber Music Society, as well as Santa Fe, La Jolla, Angel Fire, Kent Blossom and Music@Menlo festivals among others. The Miami Quartet was featured on prominent live radio programs including National Public Radio’s “St. Paul Sunday Morning” and “Performance Today”. Mr. Chan’s performances with the Miami String Quartet can be heard on recordings under the BMG/Conifer and CRI labels.
- Curtis institute of Music, B.M
- Florida International University, Artist In Residence.
- Hartt School, Artist In Residence.
- Kent State University, Artist In residence.
- New World School of the Arts, Artist In Residence.
- 1985 RTHK Young String player of the year
- 1985 Julius Stulberg Auditions, 1st prize
- 1990 Ima Hogg Young artists Auditions, 1st prize
- 1990 International Violin Competition of Indianapolis, Bronze Medal
- 1991 Washington International Competition, 2nd Prize and Audience Prize.
As first violinist of the Miami String Quartet:
- Recipient of the biennial Cleveland Quartet Award
- Regular appearances in Lincoln center( New York,) Chamber Music Society of Philadelphia, Cleveland Chamber Music Society, Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival, Music From Angel Fire, Kent/Blossom Music Festival.
- Recordings on the BMG/Conifer, Music Heritage and CRI labels.
Solo appearances with:
- HK Philharmonic, HK Sinfonietta, Indianapolis Symphony, Houston Symphony, Florida Philharmonic, New World Symphony.
As a pedagogue:
- Graduates from HKAPA violin and viola studios have been accepted to:
- Curtis institute of Music, Cleveland institute of Music, Juilliard School, Mannes College of Music and Kent State University.
- Top prize winners( in Open Divisions of violin and chamber music) at the Alice and Eleonore Schoenfeld 1st International String Competition.