Content to start

Undergraduate and Post-secondary Programmes

General Questions

What kind of person is suitable for studying at the Academy of Performing Arts?

The academy welcomes those who are interested in performing arts, theatre and entertainment arts, or film and television, as well as individuals who are talented or have received relevant training.

What major studies are available for Bachelor and Post-Secondary levels for the year 2018/19?

School Programmes Major Study Areas
Chinese Opera Bachelor Degree,
Advanced Diploma,
  • Cantonese Opera Music
  • Cantonese Opera Performance
Dance Bachelor Degree,
Advanced Diploma,
  • Ballet
  • Chinese dance
  • Contemporary dance
Music Bachelor Degree,
Advanced Diploma,
  • Western Music
  • Chinese Music
  • Composition and Electronic Music
Drama Bachelor degree
  • Acting
  • Directing
Film & Television Bachelor degree
  • Production Administration
  • Screenwriting
  • Directing
  • Cinematography
  • Editing
  • Sound
Theatre and Entertainment Arts Bachelor degree

Media Design and Technology​

  • Lighting Design / Lighting Technology
  • Sound Design / Sound System Design / Music Production

Technical Production and Management

  • Stage and Event Management
  • Technical Direction 

Theatre Design

  • Set & Costume Design
  • Costume Technology
  • Property Making
  • Scenic Art
Certificate in Theatre and Entertainment Arts
(Fast Track Vocational)
  • Costume Making
  • Lighting Technology
  • Property Making / Scenic Painting
  • Sound Technology
  • Technical Theatre and Stage Management

Are students given hostel accommodation?

At present the Academy has no hostel facilities. Non-local students take the initiative to organise their own private accommodation either on an individual or a sharing basis. Assistance will be provided by the Student Affairs Office in student accommodation matters as and when requested by students.

Can students join any performance or study tours?

The Hong Kong Jockey Club has endowed a significant fund for sponsorship of activities which promote international cross-fertilisation in the education and training of the Academy students. Supported by this Jockey Club Foundation and by donations from The Society of The Academy for Performing Arts and other sources, Academy students have the opportunity to participate in overseas study and performance tours to enrich their learning experience, gain exposure to other cultures, attend international festivals, and visit educational or professional institutions abroad. In addition, as part of a programme of The Hongkong Bank Foundation Hong Kong - Mainland Exchange Scholarships donated by The Hongkong Bank Foundation, students have undertaken intensive group study programmes in Mainland China.

The Academy is often invited by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government to arrange student performances to feature in official ceremonial and promotional events locally and overseas. In particular, Dance and Music students have performed overseas in promotional activities of the HKSAR Government which help to build the image of Hong Kong.

Are students provided with internship or training opportunities?

Opportunities for internships with local dance companies, theatre groups, the Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra and other professional organisations are available for Academy students to receive training in a professional environment working with experienced artists.

There are also scholarships to fund internships and training placements in Mainland China and overseas countries, such as The Hongkong Bank Foundation Hong Kong – Mainland Exchange Scholarships, The Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Scholarship and sponsorships from other donors.

Application Procedures

How can I apply for programmes at the Academy of Performing Arts?

Prospectus, application forms and guides may be downloaded here. Applicants may come to collect it at Academic Services Office directly. The completed application form shall be delivered in person or by mail with the required application documents and the bank-in receipt or bank draft for the application fee to the Academic Services Office.

Can I apply for admission if my examination results have not yet been released before the application deadline? 

Applicants with 2018 HKDSE or public examination results that are pending can still apply for admission but are required to submit photocopies of school results obtained within one year from the date of application and/or results of any other public examination most recently taken.

What are the Basis of Assessment? 

Admission is based on academic qualifications, talents, attainments, and relevant training in the chosen arts discipline. Applicants may be required to attend auditions, interviews and/or tests. The Academy will not provide individual written assessments or enter into any correspondence with unsuccessful applicants.

The admission criteria for different programmes vary. Applicants must therefore ensure that they satisfy or will be able to satisfy the specified entry requirements of the programmes for which they wish to apply before completing the application form. Please refer to the 2018/19 Academy Prospectus and Annex of the Guide to Applicants for 2018/19 Admission to Undergraduate and Post-Secondary Programmes for entry requirements of different programmes.

It is possible to request for changes after submitting the application form?

Requests for changes in personal particulars, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers should be made to the Academic Services Office immediately.

Requests for changes in choices of School, Programme, Major Study Area or Specialisation should be submitted to the Academic Services Office in writing no later than the end of the Application Period.

Changes in Personal Statement in the application form will not be entertained.

Can I submit more than one application?

Each applicant should submit only one application. Subsequent application(s) from the same applicant (according to the date of receiving application) will not be processed and the application fee will not be refunded.